You have the coffee to make mom feel extra special on Mother’s Day morning, but what to serve with it? We have a slew of favorite recipes from Amber to wow your mom (her Wild Mountain Blueberry™ pound cake comes to mind), but how about a salute to mom's favorite full-bodied, artisanal flavor with a tender slice of coffee cake from our Vermont kitchen?
Tully’s® Coffee Cake
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup walnuts or pecans
- 3 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces Tully’s® Italian Roast, cold
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 ounces Tully’s® Italian Roast, cold
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Brew 8 ounces Tully’s® Italian Roast (available in bags, K-Cup® and Vue® packs). Place in refrigerator to cool for at least 2 hours prior to using.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Butter and flour either a Bundt pan or a 13x9 inch baking pan. Set aside.
Prepare streusel. Finely chop nuts, and then combine with sugar and cinnamon. Set aside for later use.
- Prepare dry ingredients of cake. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl prepare, combine 6 ounces cold Tully’s® Italian Roast, vanilla, and sour cream. Whisk. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the softened butter and 1 ¾ cups sugar until fluffy and light. If using a standing mixer, beat on medium for about 5 minutes. If using a hand mixer, beat on medium for about 10 minutes. Then, mix in 1 egg at a time on the low setting.
- Combine the coffee, vanilla, and sour cream mixture (previously set aside) with the butter, sugar, and egg mixture.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients in the following manner, stirring after each step. Combine ⅓ of dry mix with ½ wet mix and stir. Add ⅓ dry mix and remaining wet mix and stir. Add the remaining dry mix and stir. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure the batter is well mixed.
- Pour half of the batter into your baking pan. Add all of the streusel mixture, spread in an even layer. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for about 60 - 70 minutes, until golden brown and the cake begins to pull away from sides of pan, and a knife or skewer, once inserted, comes out cleanly.
- Transfer cake to a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Then, if using a Bundt pan, invert cake onto rack or a serving plate; carefully remove pan (gently slide a knife around the side of the pan if necessary to loosen cake) and let cake cool completely.
- For glaze, mix sifted powdered sugar with remaining 2 ounces of cold Tully’s® Italian Roast until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.
- Let glaze harden for a few minutes, and then serve (with even more Tully’s® Italian Roast paired with it).